Saturday, December 11, 2010

Seasonal playdough

Noah has been asking for more playdough, so I made a few batches today.  (Here is a link to my favorite recipe. It lasts forever, if you keep it in a ziploc.)  He has been asking for purple and white, so that is what I set out to do.  However, it turns out, when I added equal amounts blue and red food coloring, I did not get purple.  I got brown.  Disappointing.  Who wants to play with brown playdough?  But then I realized it turned out just the shade of gingerbread dough.  So I kneaded in some cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, and it is wonderful holiday playdough!   Here's a picture of a gingerbread man my 5 year old made, using peppercorns to decorate:
This is so great, because it is all the holiday fun, without all the holiday calories!  (That's important to me, as I just started back to weight watchers...again.)

And I also mixed some glitter into the white playdough to make it look like snow.  We made snowmen with toothpics and more peppercorns.  It is a great activity to practice manual dexterity, as those peppercorns are really tiny and they kept rolling away!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this! Maybe it will make it to Mimi and Papa's to entertain all the Miller grandchildren this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...