Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My house is full of superheroes!

Lately, our 3 year old has been saying, "Yes, I did that.  Because I am Super Noah."  It turns out that Super Noah can do just about anything!  I am really not sure where he learned about superheroes, but he is insistent that it is his superpowers that allow him to do things such as run down the hall and jump on his bed.  So when I offered to sew him a cape, he was thrilled!  Of course, when the cape did not materialize for several days, he was impatient and told me, "Mama, Super Noah can't fly without a cape!"

So here is his finished cape:

And because I have 4 children, who all can't bear to be left out, here are the rest:





I do not have a full tutorial or sew-along, but I do have some hints for you.  First, you need wide fabric to make a really full cape, so use felt or fleece.  Second, capes are more fun if they are lined with something silky, like cheap costume fabric.

My third hint is about safety.  Since it will fasten around the child's neck, it's important that you use hook and loop tape (such as Velcro, Aplix, or TouchTape) as the fastener, rather than a button, snap, or ties.  That way, if it gets snagged on something, it will come unfastened with enough force so there won't be a strangulation hazard.

I actually used a pattern to get the cape shape.  The pattern I used was from the 4/04 issue of Ottobre magazine.  Then I ignored the directions and just sewed it however I wanted.  Here are the steps I followed:

1.  Cut out the cape in both the outer and inner fabrics.  Also, cut a strip of felt or fleece that is 3 inches x 20 inches to be the neck band.
2.  Applique on a cute logo with a simple shape and an initial.  If you have questions on how to applique, let me know, and I will point you to some easy tutorials.  I personally always use Heat n Bond for this step before sewing to get a really crisp shape.
3.  Place the outer and inner right sides together and sew all the way around, leaving the neck open.
4.  Turn the cape right side out.
5.  Topstitch all the way around the cape edge.
6.  Fold the neck band in half and iron.  Since it is felt or fleece, it will not ravel so you can leave raw edges.
7.  Match the center of the neck band with the center of the neck opening and pin in place.
8.  Sew the neck band closed so that the raw edges of the neck opening are completely enclosed.
9.  Attach hook and loop tape to the ends of the neck band, making sure that the scratchy side is facing away from the neck.

Here's a picture of the inside of the cape so you can see how the simple neck band entirely enclosed the raw edges:


And if you have matching hook and loop tape, that is even better:

TouchTape comes in many colors and is generally cheaper than Aplix and Velcro, but I can't buy it locally.  I get it from http://www.verybaby.com/.

I'll have to post some modeled shots another time.  The kids are loving them! 

1 comment:

  1. Jenn, I finally got around to making Kyle's! Thanks for all your advice! It was super easy and he is delighted. He was bummed that I didn't make him a crown like Sarah's (so he could be King and in charge of everything).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...