Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sewalong for fleece socks

Around where I live, it is pretty frigid for most of the year, it seems like.  And, as anyone who knows me will testify, I am basically a cheapskate, so we keep our thermostat pretty low.  Consequently, fleece socks are basically an essential around our house.  This sewalong is for the Green Pepper fleece socks pattern #504.  I understand there are several free tutorials hanging about somewhere, but to me it was worth the $7 to have fleece socks that fit right the first time -- without falling down!

I changed the pattern a little to make it easier, faster, and cheaper to sew.  Here's what I did:

1.  First, you need to trace your pattern pieces and cut your fabric.  Make sure the stretch of the fleece will go around the foot, not lengthwise, or you won't be able to get your fleece socks on.  There is an option for calf length or knee length socks; I chose knee length.

2.  We are going to flatlock all our seams using the serger.  Review my previous post about how to flatlock.  One more hint about 3-thread flatlocking:  I got best results when I tied a knot in the serger thread tail before beginning stitching.  That way the stitches would not pull out.



3.  Lay the heel piece on top of the sole, wrong sides together, aligning curved edges at the back of the heel.
Now flatlock this seam at the back of the heel.  It will look like this:





4.  Now open this out flat and lay it on top of the front of the sock, wrong sides together.
 You will see that the raw edges don't quite line up properly because of the shaping of the heel and because the front piece has greater width than the heel.  Don't worry.  As you sew, you will re-align the edges.

5.  Now flatlock all the way around the sock, starting at the top edge on one side.  Continue down the sock, all the way around the toe, and back up to the other top edge.




6.  Now, tie a knot in the serger thread tails at both the starting and ending points.  Then pull apart the flatlocked seams so they actually lie flat.




7.  The last step is to just fold over the top edge about 1 cm to the inside and stitch it down on your sewing machine.  You probably want to turn the sock inside out to make it easier to sew around the small circumference.   I would suggest using a narrow zigzag to stitch it down, as you want it to be able to stretch without popping the stitches.
See how uneven the edge of my fleece was?  I just trimmed this with sharp scissors before actually stitching it down.

 (Sorry this picture is with different fabrics.  I made lots of pairs of socks!)




Once you start, you will probably want to make a bunch!





5 comments:

  1. Thanks. This was very helpful. I was getting thrown off because the sole is so much bigger than the back. I am very new to sew and this is one my first project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you happen to have a copy of the pattern that I could print (especially for an XL foot--mens 11-12 shoe size)? Any pattern would be helpful to print trace and attempt.

    Thanks.
    Ariane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's an updated link to the pattern I used:
      http://www.thegreenpepper.com/product/504-polar-socks-pattern/

      I saw this pattern on clearance at JoAnn fabrics a few weeks ago, too.

      Delete
  3. are you aware that none of your photos from photobucket can no longer been seen in your posts? Things don't make sense always without photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...