Monday, June 27, 2011

DIY Fabric Rug






Yay!  I made an area rug!  I love sewing!  This is one of the few times where I can confidently say that I saved money by sewing.  Generally, I basically buy tons of fabric, oodles of patterns, lots of notions, and expensive machines.  But this time, I actually saved money! 

We are setting up a painting station in our kitchen.  "In your kitchen???" I imagine you saying, in disbelief.  But, yes, there is a train table in the master bedroom and a painting station in the kitchen.  This is what you get when you have a small house, no playroom, and a big homeschooling family.  My 4 year old absolutely loves painting.  And this is one of the things that I feel a little guilty about, because it tends to be neglected as we homeschool him.  In preschool, they paint daily, but at home -- ummmm.... not so much.  So we are setting up the easel, front and center, so painting cannot be ignored! 

But, even with our newly discovered devotion to painting, I am a little worried about the mess.  He is not too messy -- but our 2 year old is!  So here is a rug to catch the splatters, and I can throw it in the washing machine as needed.  I followed the tutorial at "High-Heeled Foot in the Door" here.  It honestly took only about a half hour, and I had all the materials on hand.  It is made of a layer of quilting cotton, a layer of denim, and a layer of the non-slip stuff meant to go under rugs.  I did not have spray glue, but I did have basting spray, which worked fine.  Here's what it looks like from the underside.



If I was doing it again, I would definitely have serged the fabric edges before sewing it in place.  I did not think that far ahead, so I used a zigzag stitch over the raw edge to sew the whole thing together. 

If you make a rug, too, I hope you will share a link to your pictures in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...