Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Secret Messages

Tonight something magical happened as I was putting the kids to bed.  We had finished reading a sweet book, and I was just tucking them in, giving them their good night hugs and kisses.  I leaned in close to my 5 year old, and I whispered in his ear about how proud I was of the way he acted today while playing with his cousin.  I told him how big he was getting, and how happy I was to see him being a gracious loser when they played chess today.  And the smile on his face got bigger and bigger.  He just seemed to glow from within.

Now, it's not like I don't praise my kids and love them all the time.  But somehow whispering this secret message to him, so only he could hear, transformed this praise into something extraordinary.  He is my little one who does not like snuggles, does not like joking around, and can be a little sullen and unhappy with almost everything I say.  (Is he a teenager in disguise?)  But he loved this!

So then my 7 year old says, "What did you say?  What did you say?"  I said, "It was just a little message for only his ears.  Don't you worry about it."  Of course, she begged and begged for a message, too!  And then the toddler started chanting, "Message!  Message!" 

As I kissed each one, I leaned in and whispered about what I noticed them doing right today.  They were so thrilled that I had noticed, and it was a special moment for us.  (And the disciplinarian in me thinks it is a great way to re-inforce good behavior.)  I think these "secret messages" might become a nightly tradition!

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful suggestion. I will try it tonight with Ahnalin! Thanks Jenn!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...