Saturday, September 1, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten Outfit


My little, sweet, cuddly Noah is starting kindergarten next week!  He is going to climb on a big yellow bus and go away for the entire day -- every day!  I cannot believe 5 years have gone by so quickly.  I think I am finding this especially hard because we are a homeschooling family in general.  He is only going to public school for this one year, for various good, rational reasons.  But I just can't believe he is grown so much and ready for this new, big step!

So, to make him and I feel better, and to carry on our family tradition, he needs a mama-made outfit for the first day.  Have I mentioned lately my philosophy on color in children's clothes?  Basically, I believe you can't have enough!  For an inspirational read on why children's clothes should be full of color and patterns, read Sewing Clothes Kids Love by Nancy Langdon.  Wonderful book with wonderful patterns.

But the shirt shown above is not from that book.  It is a pattern from Ottobre magazine, issue 4/2007 -- my all-time most used Otto.  I shortened the sleeves to make it appropriate for the season, and I made it out of jersey rather than sweatshirt fleece.

Details are important, so I added a tag.  The "Handmade" rocket ship design is purchased from Night Owl Menagerie on Etsy.  I have an ever-increasing collection of tags from her.  She has such amazingly fun designs.

I also made a pair of long shorts, with an embroidery to match the sea turtle fabric on the shirt.


This is another Otto pattern -- "Bert shorts."

I don't have an embroidery machine, so I stitched out the design manually on my regular sewing machine.  My next blog post will show some detailed pictures on how to do that.  It's a fun, fairly easy, but time-consuming way to tie an outfit together.



Once he starts school, I will have pictures of Noah actually wearing the outfit, climbing onto the bus, and gasp driving away... coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...