Friday, November 30, 2012

A Doll Tent


For Christmas this year, my four kiddies are getting a doll tent to share.  Now, the boys don't really have dolls anymore, but they do have some teddy bears that are pretty precious to them. 

My oldest, Hannah, fell in love with the doll tent in the American Girl catalog.  I fell in love with a picture on Pinterest from this doll tent tutorial:
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2011/05/mini-tent-pattern-tutorial/

And my youngest, Sarah, says she wants a "popup fire" for Christmas -- by which she apparently means a felt campfire set that she when sitting on my lap while I was trolling Pinterest.  So it seemed like a perfect intersection of gifts.  Sarah will get a campfire set for Christmas, and everyone will get a tent to share and (hopefully, if I have time) a doll-sized sleeping bag for their favorite little doll or teddy or other lovey.

I used the free pattern from the link above, but I enlarged it to 200% to make it American Girl sized.  The poles are a broken hulahoop, cut in half.  It wasn't quite long enough, so I had to make extenders from pieces of a milk jug (yay for recylcling!).  I hope to cover the poles in some pretty duct tape, maybe, before Christmas.  If I get around to it.

I modified tha pattern so that there would be a tent door flap that would close:

And I also added a screened window in the back panel:


I used a scrap of tulle for the screen.

(It's important to protect those stuffed animals from mosquitoes, right?  No malaria or West Nile virus allowed!)
And the best part is that it cost me NOTHING!  I used fabric from some old curtains, plus a few other scraps I had lying around.  And I already had the ribbon and velcro I needed.  Plus a free pattern and a broken hulahoop.  Now that's the kind of project I like! 

4 comments:

  1. I will try to make this for Christmas, this is a super fun idea and soo much cheaper than buying tents from certain doll websites! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How were you able to successfully enlarge to 200% and print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried this yet, but my plan is to print the pattern then take it to a copy machine & enlarge to 200%. It's most likely going to take several pieces of paper for the pattern & will have to be taped together for cut out & construction. I'm doing this soon so I'll keep an update posted! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I haven't tried this yet, but my plan is to print the pattern then take it to a copy machine & enlarge to 200%. It's most likely going to take several pieces of paper for the pattern & will have to be taped together for cut out & construction. I'm doing this soon so I'll keep an update posted! Good luck!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...