Monday, March 25, 2013

Nature Journaling in the Snow


I don't know about you, but here we are starting to get a little sick of the cold weather!

The calendar says it is spring, but it feels like winter.


Joseph was so cold that he pulled his hood up and his hat down, and I could only see his nose and mouth!

He was having fun breaking through the ice on the puddles.  It was probably a third of an inch thick on this sunny day in late March.
  
Since it was at least partially sunny, we took our nature journals out for a walk, looking for signs of spring.  First, he found some deer footprints in the snow.


We found some berries -- not a sign of spring.  Leftovers from Fall.


We found a clump of moss with some new green growth on it.


We found a daffodil poking up through the snow.  That is definitely a sign of spring!

But then we were freezing and had to head for home.



I got a few smiles out of my boy on the walk home. 

All in all, a successful nature walk on a snowy spring day.





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures :) In the afternoon sun, it finally felt a little like spring; Owen and I were able to play outside without snow pants!
    Crossing my fingers for warm weather!
    -Denitha Pruitt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My crocuses came up yesterday, so that is a sure sign of spring!

      Delete
  2. Hello Jen,

    I just came across your blog and wanted to thank you very much for your reviews of the Funshine Express curriculum. I am going to be starting in home pre-k with my own (and hopefully a few other) children this fall. That is one of the curricula I have been reading about, and your review was incredibly helpful. Did you review any other curricula?

    Hope it warms up for you soon! I'm currently in the Middle East, so we are warm enough.

    Thanks again,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Dana! Thanks for your message. I have not made any more posts reviewing curriculum. I can tell you that I enjoy Sonlight curriculum for 2nd grade and up, and we love Horizons Math. But I have not done any detailed reviews.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...