Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Eleonore Jeans -- a matching set!

I made two pairs of Jalie 3461 Eleonore pull-on jeans yesterday and today. I used a stretchy denim or twill that was just perfect for this pattern. The instructions on the pattern were very clear and easy to follow, and the new Jalie patterns are printed in color so the lines are really easy to trace. However, I found a couple of mistakes in the letter labels on the lines, so be careful when you are tracing. 

I really like the end result, but I have a few notes on fit below.

This is size H on my very small 6 year old:
IMG_20150804_1925486 91 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

IMG_20150804_1925588 29 by jenn_carney, on Flickr 

Here is my 11 year old, in a mix between size N/P/R (haha -- like the radio -- I knew I was raising a liberal!):
IMG_20150804_1906153 01 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

IMG_20150804_1917225 56 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

So, about the fit. I love the way the legs fit my very slender girlies. These are the first pants that have looked good on my 11 year old in ages! She is super long legged, so her legs were 4 sizes above her hip size. It's a good thing I sew! 
The part I didn't like was the waist. On both girls, I chose the waist size according to their actual waist measurements, but when I sewed the pants, the waist was huge. Really huge. I ended up doing some seam ripping to take it in. The pattern has you cut elastic that is exactly the same measurement as the waist pieces, so you aren't stretching the elastic at all as you sew it down. This would work great to make a flat front elastic waist IF the waist pieces were just a tiny bit smaller than or even equal to your actual waist size. But these turned out much larger for my girls. Also, these didn't turn out as low rise as I expected them to be based on the description. So my suggestion is that you use a shorter piece of elastic and stretch the elastic as you sew it into the waistband.

For length, I chose the length based on their inseam measurement. This worked out perfect for my 11 year old (who is 5'3"). I might lengthen them even a little bit more for her so she has has growing room, but it was perfect the way it is. But for my 6 year old, I cut off about 3 inches before I hemmed them. They were WAY too long as drafted. Not a big deal, though, as that is an easy fix. 

Also, the back waist piece is shorter than the front waist. So the side seam is farther back than I would expect. It seems like an odd choice that they made when drafting this pattern. It is not bad -- just not what I would have expected.

Overall, though, the end result is so good for my 11 year old that I will definitely sew some more of these.

And now we quilt!

My 11 year old and I made our very first quilt this summer. It is a small one -- only crib sized. But she and I were both involved in every single step, so she learned all the basic skills needed for quilting. (There are a million pictures of the simplest quilt, I know. Can you tell that I am excited? )

She picked the fabric and we picked the pattern together (Sunset Ridge quilt from Moda bakeshop blog).
I taught her to rotary cut:
IMG_20150619_1509207 28 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

She did at least a third of the piecing (I am quicker than her), and hers was usually straighter than mine! She worked side by side with me on a second machine. 
IMG_20150623_0938014 25 byjenn_carney, on Flickr

She was proud when the quilt top was done:
IMG_20150627_1201194 16 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

After many failed practice attempts at free motion quilting, we decided to go with straight line quilting. Hannah chose for it to be diagonal (which was not what I was rooting for), and she was absolutely right -- it looks great on the finished quilt. I found a walking foot I didn't even know I had and learned to use that.
No one told me that this part of the process takes FOREVER! I couldn't believe how long it took to sew all those parallel lines:
IMG_20150701_1103150 75 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

Then we had to learn to do binding. It came out ok -- kind of uneven sometimes. I am sure we will get better at it. I actually really enjoyed hand sewing the binding to the back, but Hannah did not enjoy the handsewing so much.
IMG_20150802_214508 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

Here is the finished quilt front:
IMG_20150803_1909054 02_HDR by jenn_carney, on Flickr

And back -- again the fabric choice was Hannah's. All the kids love this fabric. It would not personally have been my choice, but eh.
IMG_20150803_1909284 44_HDR by jenn_carney, on Flickr

Close up of our quilting. Since it took forever, it deserves a second photo.
IMG_20150803_1910048 25_HDR by jenn_carney, on Flickr

IMG_20150803_1909461 73_HDR by jenn_carney, on Flickr

IMG_20150803_183142 by jenn_carney, on Flickr

If you read all this, you a patient and kind person.  Thanks for bearing with me with this novel!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...